Check list for local and long-distance moves
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE:
- Do a detailed walk through around the house to determine what you really want to take.
- Tag the rest of the stuff for a garage sale, charity or plain garbage.
- Clean the club, gym and school lockers; pick up dry-cleaning.
- Arrange for the disconnection or changeover of utilities.
- Begin packing less-used items. Number and label each box. Make an inventory.
- Retrieve and return all borrowed items from your neighbors and friends; return library books. Clean out the cupboards and plan remaining meals so that you can pack what you don't need. Don't buy any more perishables than you have to.
1 WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE:
- Make an inventory list of all items going with you personally. Keep all valuable and irreplaceable items such as jewelry, heirloom etc. with you, not the movers.
- Confirm arrangements and dates with moving and storage companies.
- Confirm arrangements and dates with auto and pet transportation companies.
- Confirm hotel reservations, car rentals and temporary housing arrangements.
- Clean out and defrost the deep freezer.
- Disassemble furniture (the ones you can).
- Be sure to check the yard and shed for all items to pack.
- Inform friends and relatives of your forwarding address. Arrange for a temporary voice mailbox if needed.
- Set aside a box of cleaning supplies and a vacuum cleaner and label it (it might me the first thing you need at your new place!)
- Make and Label a "Survival Box" to take with you. This should typically have: paper, pens, heavy duty tape, scissors, tape measure, facial and toilet tissue, aspirins, band aids, can opener, bottle water travel alarm, flashlight, children's games, address book, spare car keys and phone books for the city you are leaving and your destination.
2 DAYS BEFORE THE MOVE:
- Reconcile and close bank accounts, unless you will be using another branch of the same bank.
- Conclude all financial matters relating to the sale and lease of your house. Movers or your family should complete packing all household goods for the move. Make sure all boxes are completely marked.
- Confirm delivery addresses, directions and delivery dates with the movers.
- Carefully supervise the move. Have cold water or liquid for the movers, especially on a hot day. Make sure your instructions are understood.
- Check thermostat and make sure temperature is set appropriately. Make sure all windows and doors are closed and locked, and all appliances are turned off. Leave forwarding addresses, your contact information. Also notify your insurance agent and the police department that the home will be empty.
- Check to make sure all utilities are on and working properly.
- Let family members or friends know you have arrived safely. Check in with your employer and real estate agent to confirm itineraries.
- Supervise the moving crew on location and placement of furniture and boxes. Begin unpacking the necessary basics first: bath toiletries, basic kitchen utensils etc.
- Give the kids a job to do, let them start with their rooms.
- Go over the Bill of Lading from the moving company carefully before signing.